18.7.13

Lethal Autonomous Robots to Jamie Oliver..

I have neglected you dear readers, I will try to bring you up to date with what has been happening. Well first of all Gay marriage has been legalised today in England and Wales. I guess the Queen wants to see more "Queens". 


Second, is a crazily interesting lecture I attended on Tuesday, called "Lethal Autonomous Robots: Coming to a theater near you?" by Christof Heyns.

Christof Heyns - Professor of Human Rights Law and Co-director, Institute for International and Comparative Law in Africa, University of Pretoria; UN Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbiter executions. 


This lecture was about Lethal Autonomous Robots. Whether machines that are being developed to make decisions about life or death is inhumane. Incredibly provocative. Christof is highly charismatic and although this topic may have seemed almost sci-fi it is becoming a real threat to the world with the production of machines like the drone X-47B not being regulated and being prepared for warfare and what could be the new strategy for targeted killings.. I guess the main concern was, what will be the cost of any errors by the machine or the inability to blame anyone because the decision was made by a robot. 


Jamie Oliver

Now onto a topic not about impending doom.. I just got home from going out to dinner at Jamie Oliver's restaurant in Oxford on George Street.


I went with a group of eclectic souls. It was an amazing mix of latino american, lebanese, brazilian and of course me (Australian). We were seated in this gorgeous corner of the restaurant downstairs. I still cannot believe that I am on this journey and how blessed I am for these experiences (thankyou mum and col). 


It was swapping stories and histories and being in this almost vibrant situation where I could listen in to so many opinions that I would not normally have access to. I am so lucky that we are all connected by the common language of English.



The topics that came up were varied but one that I wish I could have recorded, was the conversation and comparisons of the seriousness of marriage and divorce. In Lebanon you cannot live with your partner until you are married, Brazilian men were characterised as consumers of women and the overall consensus was marriage is taken too lightly.. We all came to a resounding conclusion which resulted in a well earned cheers "Love, real love is hard work and the determination to work everything out and not giving up when things get tough!"






We were loud and joyous to the point of dizziness, because even though they were all speaking English I was the one trying to keep up. Also for those looking at the delicious food pics, everything was perfection. I chose to have wild rabbit tagliolini as my main and a chocolate brownie with caramelised popcorn for dessert.. I will leave it there dear readers.. kisses. 


2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, you are so very bless to experience all this and you are most welcome. you are a wonderful daughter and we are bless to have you in our life forever, love always colin and mum xxxx take care of you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks incredible baby!! I am so happy you have made some amazing new friends.. Such an experience.. I love and miss you so much xx

    ReplyDelete