23.7.13

Magical Books

Dear Dreamers,

Many things have happened since my last post. The friends I have made here and the the incredible mix of expressions and humours are.... well... let's just say I cannot drink any kind of liquid around these people.. It ends up being spat out or coming out my nose they are just all so funny! 

First of all a cute royal baby boy has been born. Congrats to the gorgeous royals. This meant however that all the big bells in all the old churches near my residence on campus have been going off. We students thought they were broken, they had been going off that long.

MAGICAL BOOKS - from the middle ages to middle-earth

The Bodleian's summer exhibition takes as its theme the work of some of the foremost modern exponents of children's fantasy literature, members of the group of writers informally known as the 'Oxford School': C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Susan Cooper, Alan Garner and Philip Pullman. From its unique holdings of these authors' papers, the Library will display a selection of Tolkien's original artwork for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings; C.S. Lewis’s 'Lefay notebook' and his map of Narnia, and manuscripts of novels and poems by Alan Garner, Philip Pullman and Susan Cooper. Also featured in the exhibition will be some of the books and manuscripts that contain the myths, legends, and magical practices on which these Oxford-educated authors freely drew for inspiration. This historic material is housed in the Bodleian where the Library scenes in the Harry Potter films were shot.



Sir Thomas Bodley re-founded the Bodlein Library. In 1610 he was instrumental in its future years of massive collecting of books. Bodley made a deal with the then biggest publisher in London, Stationer's company to put a copy of every book published in the University Library. 



Above are Tolkien's first drawings of Gandalf.  













Above was one of the first attempts by C.S Lewis to draw the map of Narnia. 

I have booked tickets for an exclusive lecture by Dr Stuart Lee to hear all about Tolkien and his manuscripts, I will hopefully report back with amazing secrets and facts.

I have never been as happy as I am here in Oxford City my fellow dreamers. Being where these great authors walked, dreamed and created; makes me hopeful about my own literary pursuits. Kisses. 


No comments:

Post a Comment